|Tremont Street, 1891.|
|Cutting Down Beacon Hill.|
Cotton Hill and West Hill were also flattened, and today are the locations of Pemberton Square and Louisburg Square respectively.
Deer Island, where the Christian Indians were exiled in the fall of 1675, was so called for the many deer that used it as an escape from wolves on the mainland. (Today, Deer Island is home to the MWRA's sewage treatment plant, and connected by a landfall and road to Winthrop.)
Illustration Credits and References
The photograph of Tremont Street in 1891 was found on Wikimedia Commons.
The illustration entitled "Cutting Down Beacon Hill" was found on Wikimedia Commons. (Note the State House to the right, which was built in 1798.)
For more information, see the post entitled "How Boston Lost Its Hills" on the Massachusetts History site.